Sunday, September 21, 2014

Winter Is Coming!!!

Winter Is Coming!!!



My girlfriend and her family are stationed in Alaska this year. The kids are going to have recess outside even when its SUPER cold. I made this for her little guy to stay at the school and keep him warm.

Balaclava is an old fashioned name for helmet liner. It stems from long ago during the Crimean War. The British soldiers were not getting their warm clothing quickly enough while they were fighting in Russia. These were handmade from wool yarn.

This balaclava was crocheted from a paid pattern from Ravelry but I can definitely see writing a few balaclava patterns of my own. Such a convenient item for the little ones. I never would have expected my five year old to be this comfortable in something like this. It is usually such a struggle to get hats and scarves on him. It was super soft. I used "I Love This Yarn" from Hobby Lobby. A nice, easy care acrylic. The hook was a Clover I hook which made this work up really quickly.

The pattern works up in one piece and then you sew it on the side of the head and below the chin to form the shape. This is actually the toddler size on him.

My husband liked it so much that he asked me to make him one for when he is working in the cold this season. His will be two strands of Patons Classic Wool and a Clover J Hook.

Here are some more pics of my little guy in the balaclava!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Exploring Local Creativity at the Texas State Fair